Thursday, October 3, 2013

Book Review: There's a Green Plastic Monkey in My Purse: And Other Ways Motherhood Changes Us

There's a Green Plastic Monkey in My Purse: And Other Ways Motherhood Changes Us

by Jessie Clemence



17140503

Link to Amazon

Publisher: Discovery House
Pages: 208




Synopsis (from Goodreads):

There’s no doubt about it! Motherhood changes your life—mentally, emotionally, and physically. Find practical insights and biblical wisdom to help you display humility, patience, and love in the book There’s a Green Plastic Monkey in My Purse. With a casual tone and sense of humor Jessie Clemence creatively expresses challenges faced by moms as she explores God’s perspective on motherhood and shares her personal experiences as a mother of two. Includes a funny quiz, interesting interviews with moms, study questions, and more

My Rating:
2 out of 5 Stars

My Review:

With the title and the opening paragraphs, I was expecting something a little different than I received. The title is very humorous and i think it was billed as being a very look on Parenting and Motherhood. Instead this book was passages of Scripture and how she applies them to her life.

It was not the book for me, although I am sure that there are others out there who would appreciate her view on life and the way religious text is important to how she raises her kids. It felt a little more preachy than was anticipated based on the synopsis.

There were some aspects that I found positive; she has celiac disease and so do I so I can relate to those passages although I dont think they were as well described or flushed out as I would prefer. And I also found her candor relating to depression post diagnosis and post child to be refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment